Congo Biodiversity Conservation Network (CBCN)
Congo Biodiversity Conservation Network is a Congolese advocacy organization involved in the protection and conservation of wild biodiversity.
It is a network committed to the conservation of biodiversity, the fight against global warming, urban unhealthiness and pollution. The promotion of community conservation of biological diversity as a whole and the rational and responsible use of natural resources. The promotion of the protection of tropical forests, the lungs of the planet, and thus intervene in the process of reducing emissions due to deforestation and forest degradation, while respecting the rights of local communities and indigenous peoples over their forests and forest products.
Our work is dedicated to the conservation of wild biodiversity with a focus on threatened species and those that are sometimes overlooked in the nature conservation process but are no less important.
We work with local organizations and community groups that own the land to achieve the desired results.
Workplaces (Where do we work?)
Our activities are carried out throughout the Democratic Republic of Congo in community forests where we intervene in their protection, but also in urban areas to fight against pollution and sanitation.
What we keep (What we protect)
Our actions are dedicated to three main accesses, among which
- The conservation of community forests, in this angle, we conclude agreements with local communities and / or individual owners that we accompany in the process of conservation and protection of their lands, in the creation of forest concessions for local communities and in forest management.
Thus, knowing that local communities depend to a large extent on forest resources, we try to reconcile the needs of local populations with the conservation of nature by proposing to these populations alternative projects to forest products so that the natural resources of the forests are used (exploited) in a rational, responsible and sustainable way.
These alternative projects include the breeding of small livestock, fish farming, the production of edible mushrooms, and the adoption of sustainable agriculture in order to reduce the pressure exerted by local communities on wildlife (bushmeat) as well as on the habitat (massive and repetitive deforestation). These actions are also part of the fight against global warming.
- The conservation and protection of endangered animal and plant species, thus, we identify areas (forests) sheltering endangered species in order to be able to implement and adopt measures for their protection (conservation) and prevent their extermination. These conservation measures are always taken in collaboration with the local communities that own the land. Or with the governmental authorities in case the target species are found in reserves under direct management of the government or its technical body.
- The conservation of neglected animal species, those animal species that are often neglected in the process of protection and conservation of biodiversity, yet important in the ecological process and maintaining the balance of biological diversity.
Support our mission
The whole planet is threatened, the protection and conservation of wild biodiversity are part of the healthy solutions. So everyone must get involved and together we must win to be able to leave a viable planet for future generations. You can support us in our actions in five different ways, including:
Our management team is made up of involved and determined volunteers, including:
- Executive Director (President
- The Secretary
- The Secretary in charge of the internal communication of the organization
- The Secretary in charge of the external communication of the organization
- The Secretary in charge of the activity reports
- The Outreach Officer
- The directors of the commissions
- The Financial Director
- The person in charge of cash fundraising
- Online Fundraiser